Supervisors and Institutions
The PhD project will focus on decaying different animal groups under varying environmental conditions. The results of this PhD will be combined with statistical data from the fossil record (collected by Dr. Saleh and colleagues), and a model constraining taphonomic variations based on both modern and fossil patterns will be built. This model will be used to coherently frame the early evolution of animals during the Cambrian explosion.
The ideal candidate for this PhD project will have a Masters degree or equivalent in Earth or Biological Sciences. Preferably, the candidate will have an understanding of taphonomy and statistics. Experience with software such as R is highly desirable. Excellent writing skills in English are required.
Situated near the Swiss Alps on the shore of beautiful Lake Geneva, on the edge of the UNESCO World Heritage Lavaux Terraced Vineyards, Lausanne offers an exceptional quality of life. The Institute of Earth Sciences (ISTE) is situated in the new Geopolis building, which houses state-of-the-art research facilities. The decay laboratory is fully equipped with numerous imaging machines and geochemical sensors guaranteeing the successful realization of the project. The student will join a vibrant, diverse, inclusive, and friendly team of international researchers and students, who cover a full range of topics across the earth sciences.
Additional benefits :
- Possibility to visit fossil collections around the world (e.g., USA, Canada, Australia, China).
- Possibility to do fieldwork in France and Morocco.
- A salary ~47k CHF/year.
Please send the following document in a single pdf file :
- Cover letter indicating your preferred start date
- CV including information on education, internships, skills, and awards (if any)
- Publication list (if any)
- A letter detailing what your most meaningful research experience is to date, and why, and what accomplishment – academic or not – to date are you proudest of and why
- Copy of bachelor’s and master’s transcripts
- Scan of diplomas
- The names and contact details of two references
Only applications through the following website will be taken into account: https://career5.successfactors.eu/career?career%5fns=job%5flisting&compa...
UNIL is committed to equal opportunities and diversity.
UNIL supports early career researchers.