Getting to Manchester
Car: Manchester is easily reached by road though parking is fairly limited in the city centre and very around the universities. Car parks and on-street parking are available nearby. The postcodes are M13 9PL on Oxford Rd for University of Manchester, and M15 6BH, All Saints for Manchester Metropolitan.
Coach/Bus: national coach services connect Manchester to most UK cities and airports. Coaches arrive at Manchester Central Coach Station (city centre), approximately a 15-20 minute walk from the University. See below for information on travelling within Manchester.
Rail: Manchester is easy to travel to via train, and has three major railway stations; Piccadilly, Oxford Road, with Victoria a little further away. Approximate journey times and frequencies are:
- 70-90 minutes/four times an hour from London St Pancras International station,
- 60 minutes/twice an hour from Birmingham New Street station,
- 60 minutes/once an hour from Luton Airport Parkway station, and
- 2 hours 30 minutes/approximately once an hour from Stansted Airport.
Oxford Road is the closest station to the universities (5-10 minute walk). Next is Piccadilly (10-15 minutes), with Victoria the furthest away (25-30 minutes).
Air: Manchester has its own major airport, with frequent domestic and international flights. http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/. Connections into the city centre are available by train (to Oxford Road or Piccadilly) or metrolink.
On foot: You are rarely more than a 30 minute walk away from a University in Manchester.
- From the central coach station (city centre) the Universities are a 20 minute walk through town.
- From the Oxford Road and Piccadilly it is less than a 20 minutes’ walk to the universities, and just over 30 minutes from Victoria.
Public transport: Manchester is well-served by buses which connect the centre of town (coach/bus station), railway stations and University. Many of these buses serve the corridor running along Oxford Road, which leads from the centre of Manchester, past both the University of Manchester and Manchester Metropolitan, and then down towards the ‘Curry Mile’ and into South Manchester.
- Buses from Piccadilly Gardens Bus Station: 14, 16, 41, 42, 43, 43a, 44, 45a, 48, 111, 140, 142, 157, 250.
- Buses from Oxford Road Station: All buses that run along Oxford Road.
- Buses from Cross Street outside Boots the Chemist: 47, 87, 50, 143, 197, 291.
- Buses from Manchester Airport: 43a, 45a.
- Bus from Piccadilly Train Station: 147.
- Bus from Victoria Station: 42.
- Bus from Shudehill Interchange: 18.
- Tram: Alight at St Peter's Square and walk or catch a bus down Oxford Road.
For the most up to date information, please consult: https://www.tfgm.com/public-transport/bus
Taxi: there are several taxi operators in Manchester and taxis can be booked or hailed. There are taxi ranks at each of three main train stations. If travelling by coach, the taxi rank at Piccadilly station is only short walk away.
Further information can also be found on the University's maps and directions webpages: http://www.manchester.ac.uk/discover/maps/ , https://www2.mmu.ac.uk/travel/manchester/